General Skilled Visa
THE GENERAL SKILLED MIGRATION VISAS
For people who are highly skilled and under 45 years of age there are several visa pathways. They fall into three broad categories:
· Independent, subclass 189
· State, subclass 190 and 489 (provisional) or family sponsored, subclass 489
· Employer sponsored, subclass 186, 187 and 457 (temporary)
In all categories, the basic requirements are:
1. Maximum age 44 at the time of application.
2. You must speak English to a level required to work in Australia (minimum IELTS 6 in each band of the General Test).
3. You must have tertiary (university, technical school) or trade qualifications, or substantial relevant work history may be used instead in certain occupations (like high level business Managers, IT professionals etc.)
4. Your skills must be assessed as meeting the Australian standards (we will assist with a skills assessment application for you).
5. Your occupation must be on the relevant Skilled Occupations List (there are different lists for each state, for independent migration and for visas sponsored by employers).
6. There might be some additional requirements with regards to your employment experience for state and employer sponsored visas.
7. You must pass the Points Test Passmark of 65 points if you apply for an independent or state and family sponsored skilled visa. Find out your points score by completing the free assessment.
8. For employer sponsored visa you must have an Australian employer willing to employ you and also able to comply with various sponsorship and nomination requirements.
DISTINGUISHED TALENT VISA, SUBCLASS 124/858
For people who are internationally recognised for exceptional achievements in a profession, arts, sport and the applicant must be nominated by an eligible Australian person or an organization. There is no age limit for this visa
Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485)
This visa allows overseas students who have completed in Australia a course of tertiary study and who do not meet the criteria for a permanent General Skilled Migration visa to remain in Australia for 18 months to gain skilled work experience or improve their English language skills so they can meet the criteria for a permanent visa application.
As a holder of subclass 485 visa, you may apply for permanent residence at any time if you can meet the pass mark on the General Skilled Migration points test.
Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476)
This visa allows recent engineering graduates of selected overseas universities to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience in occupations in demand in Australia.
As a holder of this visa, you may apply for permanent residence at any time if you are able to meet the pass-mark on the General Skilled Migration points test. If you think you might qualify please complete the free assessment.