For people who are highly skilled and under 45 years of age, there are several visa pathways. They fall into three broad categories:

·     Independent, subclass 189

·     State nominated, subclass 190 

·    State nominated, subclass 491 (provisional) state or family-sponsored – see more information here

In all categories, the basic requirements are:

1. Maximum age is 44 at the time of application.

2. You must speak English at a competent level (minimum IELTS 6 in each band of the General or Academic Test). 

3. You must have a tertiary (university, technical school) or trade qualifications, or substantial relevant work history may be used instead in certain occupations (like high-level business Managers, IT professionals, etc.)

4. Your skills must be assessed as meeting the Australian standards (we will assist with a skills assessment application for you). 

5. Your occupation must be on the relevant Skilled Occupations List (there are different lists for each state, for independent migration, and for visas sponsored by employers)

6. The state governments may stipulate some additional requirements with regard to your employment experience, English, residency or study in their state. See the following links for more info about the state requirements:

 7. You must pass the Points Test Passmark of 65 points if you apply for an independent or state and family-sponsored skilled visa. Find out your points score by completing the free assessment.


For people who are internationally recognized for exceptional achievements in a profession, the arts, or sport the applicant must be nominated by an eligible Australian person or an organization. There is no age limit for this visa


Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485) 
This visa allows overseas students who have completed in Australia a course of tertiary study and who do not meet the criteria for a permanent General Skilled Migration visa to remain in Australia for 18 months or 24 months (depending on the stream) to gain skilled work experience or improve their English language skills so they can meet the criteria for a permanent visa application. 
As a holder of subclass 485 visa, you may apply for permanent residence at any time if you can meet the pass mark on the General Skilled Migration points test.

Skilled – Recognised Graduate

Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476)
This visa allows recent engineering graduates of selected overseas universities to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience in occupations in demand in Australia.

As a holder of this visa, you may apply for permanent residence at any time if you are able to meet the pass mark on the General Skilled Migration points test. If you think you might qualify, please complete the free assessment.

Free evaluation of your possibilities

Find out about your best options for getting a visa to Australia.