To qualify for the Business Innovation and Investment (Temporary) (subclass 188) visa the age limit is 55, although a state or territory can waive this requirement if your proposed business will be of exceptional economic benefit to the relevant region. There is no age limit for the Significant Investor Stream and the Premium Investor Stream. You should score at least 65 on the points test for this visa.
Business Innovation and Investment
You must score at least 65 points on the Innovation Test.
Points are awarded for:
- English language ability
- Experience in business or investments
- Net personal and business assets
- Business turnover
Choose a program for yourself
Types of business visas
Ut rhoncus, orci vel congue vulputate, enim erat suscipit libero, vel vehicula enim felis tempor leo.
Business Innovation stream
If you apply for the Business Innovation stream, you (or your partner, or you and your partner combined) must have:
- total assets of at least AUD800 000 that have been legally acquired and can be legally transferred to Australia
- an annual turnover of minimum AUD500 000 (in one or more of your businesses) in two of the four fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply
- you owned minimum:
- 51 percent of a business if the turnover was less than AUD400 000 per annum, or
- 30 percent of a business with a turnover of more than AUD400 000 per annum, or
- 10 percent of a publicly-listed company
- an overall successful business career with no involvement in unacceptable business activities
- managed a business, in which you spent less than half your time on professional, technical or trade services
- a genuine desire to own and maintain a management role in a business in Australia.
If you apply for this stream, you (or your partner, or you and your partner combined) must:
- have a net assets value of AUD2.25 million more for the two fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply
- have an overall successful record of eligible investment or qualifying business activity with no involvement in unacceptable activities
- have a high level of management skill in relation to eligible investments and/or qualifying business activity
- have at least three years’ experience of direct involvement in managing one or more qualifying businesses or eligible investments
- make your government-approved designated investment of AUD1.5 million before a visa can be granted
- have a genuine and realistic commitment to continuing your business and investment activity in Australia after the original investment has matured.
- You (or your partner, or you and your partner combined) must also have had one of the following:
- direct involvement, for at least one of the five fiscal years you are invited to apply, in managing your eligible investments that total at least AUD1.5 million, or
- direct involvement, for at least one of the five fiscal years before you are invited to apply, in managing a qualifying business in which you owned at least 10 percent of the total value of the business.
Significant Investor Stream
This visa is designed to attract migrants with a history of business and investment success, the Significant Investor visa is not points-tested, has no upper age limit and requires reduced periods of Australian residency. In return for these concessions, Significant Investor applicants must invest at least AUD5,000,000 in a “complying investment” which will include State/Territory Government bonds, ASIC-regulated managed funds that invest in Australian assets and direct investment in actively-operating Australian businesses which meet the “qualifying business” test.
Business Innovation stream
If you are in this stream, after entering Australia, you must provide valuable input to the Australian economy. You must:
- obtain and maintain substantial ownership in a business in Australia
- participate, at a senior level, in the day-to-day management of that business.
- In the business, you must also do at least one of the following:
- develop business links with international markets
- create or maintain employment in Australia
- exporting Australian goods
- produce goods or services that would otherwise be imported
- introduce new or improved technology
- add to commercial activity and competitiveness within sectors of the Australian economy.
The department may ask you to complete a monitoring survey about your business activities in Australia.
Business Talent (Permanent) (subclass 132) visa
This visa has two streams.
- The Significant Business History stream is for affluent owners or part owners of a business who want to have a major management role in a new or existing business in Australia. They need to show a minimum $1.5 million in net assets and ownership involvement in a business turning over at least $3 million per year
- The Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream is for people who have obtained at least AUD1 million in funding from an Australian venture capital firm.
Free evaluation of your possibilities
Explore your Austalia visa options.