Subclass 408 COVID-19 stream announced
The purpose of this stream is to provide a pathway for certain former and current holders of temporary visas to lawfully remain in Australia and who would otherwise be required to depart Australia who, but for the COVID-19 pandemic, are unable to leave Australia.
- Must hold a visa that is 28 days or less from ceasing to be in effect
- Or, held a visa that is no more than 28 days from ceasing to be in effect
- And, are unable to apply for the same temporary visa they hold or held or any other subclass of temporary visa other than the Subclass 408 visa
- Must be part of response to workforce shortages during the COVID-19 pandemic in relation to areas including, but not limited to, agriculture, aged care and public health.
- Allow holders of temporary visas who are engaged in or have the relevant skills to undertake critical work relating to supply of essential goods and services
- Visa application charge – Nil