More points for the regional nominations, partner skills and certain science and technology degrees from 16/10/2019
The minister stated: “The amendments introduce a revised points system for the subclass 491 visa as well as existing General Skilled Migration visas. Points are awarded for attributes that are linked with the applicant’s ability to make the greatest economic contribution, as the key purpose of the skilled migration program is to maximise the economic benefits of migration to Australia.”
New points awards are:
- 15 points for nomination by a family member or a regional part of a state or territory
- Ten points for Masters or PhD level Australian qualification in specific areas (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics – STEM).
- Ten partner points, special rules apply – see below
- Five points if your partner who can demonstrate Competent English. The partner can be over 45 years of age and does not need to work in a skilled occupation
- Points will still apply based on your age, qualification, years of overseas and/or Australian skilled work experience, Australian study and English skills, as they do under the 489 visa and other skilled visas.
- Partner Points
- Applicants may receive 10 points for a partner if one of the following applies:
- They have a skilled partner. This means that their partner is under 45 years of age, obtains a positive skill assessment in a job on the same shortage list as the applicant and has Competent English; or
- They are single, or
- They have a partner who is an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen